Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Hindsight's 20/20

I have now experienced the end of nine college semesters, six of which were here at the University of Montana.  For me, the trouble is knowing that you can, in fact, completely lose motivation, drop out for a semester or two, re-register and head back to classes.  This is not a good thing to know.  It's a worse thing to practice. 

I'm nine semesters in and I'm only mildly confident in my major of choice (Ecology).  The only thing I am sure of is my need for a Bachelor's degree in something, since they're being given out like fuckin french fries these days.  With all the crazy things we've dreamed up for people to do with their time on Earth, asking someone to choose at or near my age just seems cruel.

However, now that the end of the semester is upon us, I feel every part of me that has matured at least a little since high school telling me what every college student needs to hear when motivation is hard to find.  It's only another couple of weeks, suck it up and enjoy it before you miss it.  Personally, I have encountered several points in my life where I wished I had slowed down a bit and enjoyed the process for what it was.  I don't want to have to encounter this feeling again merely with hindsight.  I've made it a personal goal to really just buckle down, grind it out and have a good time doing it.  I think it's all about realizing just how you're going to look back at this time in your life and acting accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me

My photo
Missoula, MT, United States
I'm 23 and a junior in the Ecology program. I love to folf and play guitar. I like to camp whenever I can get the time off of work. I've lived in Missoula for 10 years now and I quite like it here. But I really like traveling. I went to Jamaica over summer and plan to go to Costa Rica in January. I want to go back to Europe to go backpack through as many countries as I can this next summer. But we'll see how good I can be about saving the cash. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but i'm pretty loyal to classic rock when it comes to making a playlist.