Monday, December 6, 2010

Didn't I, my dear?

I haven't read much this semester, but I have been on a frantic search for some new quality music for the last year or two.  I had become all too rooted in listening to only music from my ipod. Then, a couple months ago, with the addition of Pandora Internet Radio (if you haven't tried it or a site like it, make plans) into my life, I found all kinds of good stuff.  Along with being reminded of how much I used to love Citizen Cope and Gov't Mule, I was introduced to some nice young Londoners who perform under the band name Mumford & Sons.  My title is from the refrain of their hit "Little Lion Man."  I like this song, but the rest of the tracks on their "Sigh No More" album are where I really found a reason to keep listening.

I borrowed the album from a hipster friend who always has the latest music that no one has heard of. While Mumford & Sons are a little more well-known than most of her collection, they have a sound that lacks that mainstream punch or pop or whatever it is that makes Lady Gaga and T-Pain sound like they do. I added it to my iPod and proceeded to bask in 4-piece (4 band members playing 4 instruments) magnificence. They have a melancholy tone that pulls on your must intimate of emotions. Their blistering strum patterns and bittersweet melodies produce an unrivaled sound in the world of folk-grass. And then there's the vocals.  As a one-time vocal performance major, I am often let down by the vocals of folk-type groups, where singing usually takes backseat to the instrumental focus.  The voices of Mumford & Sons blend something fierce and the harmony is just plain kick-ass.  Also, there stuff is fun as hell to play.  I really think these young musicians have formed a powerful and unique ensemble that will be making beautiful music for years to come.

3 comments:

  1. I discovered them this summer and completely forgot about them until reading this. Your post totally inspired me to go look them up again. That's is sweet that you were a vocal major. Do you still sing a lot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound like music I would like. I'm going to have to look them up. Do you recommend any specific songs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet, Ryan! I love this band so much. Sigh No More is probably my favorite album to come out in the last 3-5 years. not to lay it on too thickly.

    ReplyDelete

Me

My photo
Missoula, MT, United States
I'm 23 and a junior in the Ecology program. I love to folf and play guitar. I like to camp whenever I can get the time off of work. I've lived in Missoula for 10 years now and I quite like it here. But I really like traveling. I went to Jamaica over summer and plan to go to Costa Rica in January. I want to go back to Europe to go backpack through as many countries as I can this next summer. But we'll see how good I can be about saving the cash. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but i'm pretty loyal to classic rock when it comes to making a playlist.