Monday, October 25, 2010

What not to do.

Well, please let me start by explaining that there has never been a more ironic event in all of history than me giving writing tips to someone else. I don't think I have ever written more than two sentences of a paper before midnight, ever. So, what better way to utilize my knowledge than to give tips on what not to do when you write a paper:

1. Do not procrastinate. I know this isn't really a tip--it's something we should be masters of by now (the point where we are paying for our education). However, if you are like me, you are quick to figure how late you can wait to start the paper the minute you receive the assignment. This is bad. The more often you write (five one-hour sessions are much more beneficial than one five hour session), the easier your paper will be to write.

2. When you're writing, do not stop! Just keep writing. Even if it is total shit. So much time can be spent staring at your heading and the blank document that lay below it. Use this time to edit whatever nonsense you've mananaged to get down. This will prove a much more efficient use of whatever time you dedicate to writing

3. Don't be completely rigid when it comes to your topic. Upon research, you may find that it would be easier to change your thesis statement a little. Reward yourself for this observation and give the change a try. It could be that break you need to wrap the thing up or meet the length requirement.

4. Do not copy and paste, then edit in word. This will just end up exposing your lack of mastery of word formattting and make you paper awfully choppy.

5. Do not write your paper while under the influence. As enticing it may sound, there is a devastatingly low success rate when it comes to drunk writing. On top of a broken computer, you'll end up with a paper that is made up of 50% quotes from whatever songs you were listening to Anne maybe some lines from Rocky.

3 comments:

  1. It can be so hard not to procrastinate. I really wish I could quit my own procrastination habits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now I want to know what not to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with number 4 copy and pasting never works and just looks stupid.

    ReplyDelete

Me

My photo
Missoula, MT, United States
I'm 23 and a junior in the Ecology program. I love to folf and play guitar. I like to camp whenever I can get the time off of work. I've lived in Missoula for 10 years now and I quite like it here. But I really like traveling. I went to Jamaica over summer and plan to go to Costa Rica in January. I want to go back to Europe to go backpack through as many countries as I can this next summer. But we'll see how good I can be about saving the cash. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but i'm pretty loyal to classic rock when it comes to making a playlist.