Thursday, September 2, 2010

Numero Uno

I am Ryan.  My credits say I am a junior--though I've been going to school (on and off) since 2005.  I folf regularly and am quite fond of playing the guitar--mostly Neil Young, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Dave Matthews, and the like. Looking forward to getting my first electric and adding some new songs to the repertoire. I work at the Good Food Store and really like to backpack. I live with my girlfriend Laura and my flop-eared bunny Gracie.


I haven't read nearly as many titles as I'd like.  I'm currently reading as much Kurt Vonnegut as I can get my hands on--Wampeters Foma and Granfaloons, Armageddon in Retrospect, Slaughterhouse Five...  Right now it's Cat's Cradle.  Lately, other than Kurt, I quite enjoyed Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman.  I like some of the commonly-studied classics: A River Runs Through It, To Kill A Mockingbird,  1984,  Alas, Babylon,  All The Pretty Horses.  I'm a big fan of most Michael Crichton books. Some Other titles I can recall enjoying: Ishmael by Daniel Quinn, Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris, Ender's Game (and the rest of the Ender Series) by Orson Scott Card, Where the Wild Things Were by William Stolzenburg, Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Marie Rilke.  Oh, and as far as poetry goes...huge fan of Robert Service.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ryan. Your blog looks great. I have dreams of starting a Tom Petty Cover band. "Dawn Petty and the Heart Fakers." Vonnegut is wonderful. Slapstick is my favorite but Cat's Cradle is really good too; you'll have to let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy those bands as well, I am super jealous you can jam them on guitar. My uncle is very good at guitar acoustic and electic, he also taught music lessons, so let me know if you might need some help with that. I personally couldn't help you but he is a superb dude. What happened that made school last longer then expected?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats sweet you can play the guitar to those songs. You have really good taste in music. It sounds like you have read alot! Those books sound crazy, I'll have to look into them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is awesome you like music so much. I use to play guitar my freshman year in high school and now I don't remember how to play at all. To Kill A Mockingbird is a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s cool that you play the guitar, I tried to teach myself to play a few years back and it didn't really stick. However, I got to say I liked your book choices, except 1984.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your list of books is outstanding! What a variety! I also love the guitar part!! I play too! Horribly, but I try! Also, you made me miss my rabbit, Razz. haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever read the Ender's Shadow series? It's 4 books from the character Bean's point of view, starting at battle school with Ender. I own the books, but I haven't read them yet. I love the Ender series, Ender's Game easily being the best. I know that Orson Scott Card is working on a script for Ender's Game, and is really pushing it to be made into a movie.

    ReplyDelete

Me

My photo
Missoula, MT, United States
I'm 23 and a junior in the Ecology program. I love to folf and play guitar. I like to camp whenever I can get the time off of work. I've lived in Missoula for 10 years now and I quite like it here. But I really like traveling. I went to Jamaica over summer and plan to go to Costa Rica in January. I want to go back to Europe to go backpack through as many countries as I can this next summer. But we'll see how good I can be about saving the cash. I enjoy a wide variety of music, but i'm pretty loyal to classic rock when it comes to making a playlist.